Aquinas College is the partner sixth form college to Harrytown Catholic High School, St. Anne's RC School and St. James' Catholic High School in Stockport and St. Thomas More School in Buxton. Students attending these schools have priority of admission. Applications are also welcome from Catholic students not currently attending one of the partner schools, as well as from non-Catholic students who wish to continue their education in a Christian environment. Bearing these points in mind, the Governors consider applications in the following order of priority:
Catholic applicants from the college's Catholic partner schools
Catholic applicants from other schools
Non-Catholic applicants from Catholic schools
Brothers and sisters of present or former students of the college and children of current staff and governors of the college
Aquinas College receives more applications than there are places. Admission is according to the criteria laid down by the Governors. There is no selection on academic ability since the Governors are committed to maintaining the college's open access admissions policy. They are always prepared to give special consideration to students with particular needs. This includes Looked After Children who will also be given priority.
Courses followed by students depend on what has already been achieved at GCSE and on the student's future plans. Each case is considered individually. The study of some advanced courses may require a particular level of achievement at GCSE.
When considering any application we take into account several key factors:
- Commitment to study at Aquinas
- Appreciation of and commitment to the college’s distinctive ethos
- Wider interests and the contribution the applicant might make to the college community
- A reference from school regarding application, attendance, conduct and punctuality
- Whether the applicant currently attends a school located in Stockport
- Since it is not possible to offer every student a place at Aquinas the quality of the application is important and all deadlines must be met.
The only necessary conditions for admissions are:
- an ability to benefit from an available course of study
- a commitment to work
- a commitment to the college ethos and community
- acceptance of the Student/College Agreement
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are always happy to help.