September start only - next enrolments June/July 2013
Prior to enrolment we offer you an initial interview and guidance for this course. Please telephone to arrange an appointment on 0161 419 9163.
Level 2 Certificate for Legal Studies (City & Guilds/CILEX)
When is the course held?
Level 2 :
Tuesday evening - 6.00 pm to 9.00 pm
The legal studies course is made up of modules:
The Legal Environment:
- Understand the purpose of law and the framework within which it operates
- Understnd the main sources of English Law
- Understand the operation of the legal system
Principles of Criminal Liability:
- Understand the key elements of a crime
- Understand the main fatal and non-fatal offences against the person
Principles of Contract Liability:
- Understand the key elements of a contract
- Understand the circumstances in which a contract may be discharged and the main remedy on breach
Principles of Negligence:
- Understand the key elements of duty of care
- Understand the key elements of breach of duty of care
- Understand the principles of remoteness of damage
- Understand defences to an action of negligence
- Understand public policy requirements for claims for psychiatric harm
- Understand how consumer contracts are formed
- Understand the basic remedy of damages in consumer contracts
- Understand the role of consumer support organisations
You will need to complete assignments for the above units and also pass an external multi-choice examination.
This course is an ideal introduction to law and is designed to be an entry-level qualification for paralegals (particularly suitable if you have not studied for some time). It is also ideal if you want to be a Legal Executive but do not have any formal qualifications. Following on from this course you would be able to embark on the legal executive training route in specialised areas of law. So if you are looking for a career in law, this course is a great first step.
You will be expected to have a basic level of word processing skills and a good standard of written English.
It will take 3 terms to complete the whole course therefore regular attendance is vital. In addition to the time spent at college, there will be about 3 hours per week homework.