Classical Civilisation AS/A2 · AQA
If you are interested in Ancient Greece and Rome and want to study their history, society and culture, then this is the course for you.
4 units – 2 for AS and 2 for A2
- Introduction to the Ancient world
- Unit 1: Women in Athens and Rome (exam) which involves the study of the lives of different types of women often through the eyes of their male contemporaries based on actual sources in translation. (society and literature)
For Unit 2 you may choose from the following, dependant on student numbers:
Homer’s Iliad (exam) which is a critical study of selected books of the epic poem about the siege of Troy by the Greeks (literature).
- Roman Architecture and Town Planning (exam) which looks at the layout,
construction and function of houses, theatres and amphitheatres, baths,
temples and forum ( architecture and society)
- Unit 3 :Greek Tragedy (exam) includes a critical look at several plays by Greek dramatists Euripides and Sophocles (literature)
- Unit 4: The reigns of the early Roman Emperors, Tiberius and Claudius, (exam) including such topics as the role of the senate, army, imperial women, Praetorian Guard and emperor worship.(history, politics and literature)
Lessons will be a mixture of teacher led activity, group work using IT, design and reconstruction, the study of written sources, debates, performance, audio-visual material, site visits, lectures or theatre visits where available.
AQA Exam Board Website
Classical Civilisation Leaflet