Drama & Theatre Studies AS/A2 · AQA
AQA’s new specification for Drama and Theatre Studies is designed to:
The AS Specification has two units:
- Enable students to gain an entry qualification on HE courses.
- Develop students’ skills in practical drama.
- Offer students a wide choice of set plays for study and the opportunity to write about live productions.
Unit 1: Live Theatre Production Seen and Prescribed Play
- Candidates’ personal response to live theatre.
- Interpretation of a set play from a performance perspective.
Written Paper: 1 hour 30 minutes (100 marks)
Weighting: 60% of total AS marks / 30% of total A Level marks
Unit 2: Presentation of an Extract from a Play
- Working in groups to develop and present an extract from a published play.
- Study of an influential director, designer, theatre company linked to the candidate’s practical work.
Practical: 80 marks. Weighting: 40% of total AS marks / 20% of the total A Level marks.
Performance by a group of an extract from a published play. The assessment also includes candidates’ preparatory and development work.
The A2 Specification has two units:
A2 provides candidates with the opportunity to develop and extend skills gained at AS level. Candidates will demonstrate a more advanced level of performance and production skills, think independently, make judgements and refine their work in the light of research. They will also analyse the ways in which different performance and production elements are brought together to create theatre.
Unit 3: Further Prescribed Plays including Pre-Twentieth Century
- Study of a set pre 20th century play
- Study of a set 20th century play
Written Paper: 2 hours 100 marks
Weighting: 30% of total A Level marks
Unit 4: Presentation of Devised Drama
- Students work in groups to develop and present a devised drama in a theatrical style of their choice
- Students research into a theatrical style chosen by the group for their practical work.
Practical: 80 marks. Weighting: 20% of total A Level marks
Performance by a group of devised drama. The assessment also includes candidates’ preparatory work and supporting notes.
AQA Exam Board Website
Drama and Theatre Studies