English Literature AS/A2 · AQA (B)
AS/A2 Level English LIterature gives you the opportunity to study a selection of different texts from a variety of time periods and genres. The course is designed to give you an understanding of the nature of the different approaches that can be used in reading and analysis. The course requires you to study 12 texts over the two years and it is essential that you are prepared to read indpendently.
Unit 1: Aspects of narrative (Exam Unit)
4 Units – 2 for AS Level and 2 for A2 Level – to include:
Unit 2: Dramatic Genres (Coursework Unit)
- The study of narrative style and the analysis of techniques used to tell stories across a range of different texts.
- Texts studied for this unit include The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald, the poetry of Robert Browning and the poetry of Christina Rossetti.
- The study of either the tragic or comic genre using two dramatic texts as illustration
- Texts studies have included Antigone and Othello
Unit 3: Texts and Genres (Exam Unit)
- Gothic as a genre is studied through three texts which include Dracula, The Bloody Chamber, Dr Faustus and Macbeth.
Unit 4: Further and Independent Reading (Coursework Unit)
For more information see the AQA Exam Board Website
- In this final unit, students are given the opportunity to explore their own literary interests and produce a comparative essay and an analytical essay using an anthology of literary criticism.