This course is for anyone who has an interest in stitch and wishes to explore their creative side with both traditional materials, and products at the more cutting-edge of textile art. The tutor will encourage you to develop your own individual style throughout the sessions and provide fun, hands-on activities to help you build up a collection of two- and three-dimensional pieces to display in your home, wear as accessories or even gift to family and friends.
On this course, you will study the creative possibilities of drawing using a sewing machine in combination with dis-solvable fabrics. You will:
- Be introduced to a range of hand-embroidery stitches
- Explore ways to distress specialist heat-sensitive materials such as Tyvek® and Lutrador®
- Examine a range of different backgrounds to embellish including dyed scrim/muslin, hand-made felt, devoré velvet, printed leather, silk paper and sprayed Kraft-tex®
- Extend knowledge of textile arts to combine with other media for example, wire, gesso, foils, beads and plastics
What will I need to bring?
- An apron or old shirt to protect your clothes
- A sewing box or tin containing hand sewing needles, pins and scissors
- The tutor will advise you of further small purchases of fibres, embroidery threads and fabrics
When can I attend?
Monday evenings: 6.45pm to 8.45pm
The course continues in January and April allowing you to progress throughout the year.
Actual fees autumn term: Full fee £145.00 Benefit fee £72.50
Actual fees spring term: Full fee £123.50 Benefit fee £62.50
Estimated fees summer term: Full fee £123.50 Benefit fee £62.50
How do I Enrol?
You enrol and pay for this course on a termly basis (each term lasting between 10 and 13 weeks).