Quality Careers Education
Aquinas College has been awarded the Matrix Standard which is a unique quality standard covering the advice and support services which helps individuals in their choice of career, learning, work and life goals. It is the only National Government approved Quality Standard for Information Advice and Guidance.
Our Promise to You
In today’s world there are increasing pressures on young people. Progression options have become more challenging so the importance of high quality impartial Careers Guidance is critical in helping young people make the right choices. Appropriate guidance can raise aspiration, awareness and the motivation to achieve. We will give accurate, independent, timely and clear advice and information, on a wide range of careers and educational issues.
Where can you find the Careers Centre?
The team, consisting of four highly qualified Careers Advisers, are based on the ground floor of the college Learning Centre where we have a dedicated and comprehensive careers library. Our specialist careers librarian manages our award winning careers resources area, which includes a wide range of information on every type of career, higher education course, “GAP Year” opportunities, voluntary work and self-employment. Much of our careers and higher education resources are networked on the college Moodle site.
What do we do?
The Careers team provides a wide range of services to students and parents. We:
- offer individual student consultations either drop-in or by appointment
- give you an individual action plan after each consultation
- deliver a careers education programme via the tutorial
- liaise with local and national employers and training providers and regularly invite visiting speakers to address groups of students about developments in their areas
- organise visits and talks from Universities, employers and apprenticeship training providers
- organise a careers evening with over 60 Universities, employers and apprenticeship training providers
- promote career opportunities to students via the bulletin, Twitter feed and intranet
- support students with applications to universities, apprenticeships and other employment opportunities
- provide help and suggestions for student looking for work experience
- we attend consultation evenings and careers events outside college giving advice to prospective students and their parents
We pride ourselves on our extensive range of partnerships which includes UCAS, many Universities and colleges across the country, local training providers, local and national employers and the Student Loans Company.
News and information for parents from the Careers department at Aquinas college. Featuring the latest events at college, as well as general advice to help you plan for the future and keep informed about the broad range of opportunities available for Aquinas students.