This course is for anyone who has an interest in stitch and textile art. You will work with traditional materials such as woven cloth through to more diverse backgrounds for example, paper cloth, silk paper, card, plastic and metal. The tutor will guide you to develop your own individual style throughout the sessions and to create a two- or three-dimensional textile piece(s) each term. Research is encouraged to explore the work of professional textile artists both past and present.
On this course, you will study the creative possibilities of drawing using a sewing machine in combination with dis-solvable fabrics. You will:
- Be introduced to a range of hand-embroidery stitches
- Explore ways to distress specialist heat-sensitive materials such as Tyvek® and Lutrador®
- Examine a range of different backgrounds to embellish including dyed scrim/muslin, hand-made felt, devoré velvet, printed leather, silk paper and sprayed Kraft-tex®
- Extend knowledge of textile arts to combine with other media for example, wire, gesso, foils, beads and plastics
What will I need to bring?
- An apron or old shirt to protect your clothes
- A sewing box or tin containing hand sewing needles, pins and scissors
- The tutor will advise you of further small purchases of fibres, embroidery threads and fabrics