Biology involves the study of a wide range of exciting topics, ranging from molecular biology to the study of ecosystems and from micro-organisms to mammoths. Biology is never far from the headlines either. The human genome has been sequenced and we know the complete arrangement of the three thousand million bases that make up human DNA which is driving exciting new avenues of research and medical advancement.
|Exam Board||Level||Qualification||Assessment Method|
|AQA||Level 3||Linear A level||Examination plus a separate endorsement of practical skills|
You will study 8 topics over two years: cells, how organisms exchange substances with their environments, genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms, energy transfers in and between organisms, how organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments, genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems and the control of gene expression and Biological Molecules.
All exams are taken at the end of the 2 year course.
- Paper 1 is a written exam that assesses topics 1-4 (35%)
- Paper 2 is a written exam that assesses topics 5-8 (35%)
- Paper 3 is a written exam which assesses all topics and includes one essay from a choice (30%)
Career opportunities and further study
A Level Biology is a Russell group facilitating subject, it is one of the subjects most commonly required or preferred by universities.
An A level Biology qualification will enable you to study many subjects at university including:-
- Marine Biology
- Food Science
- Veterinary Science
Trips and Events
Throughout the course we offer many interesting and engaging trips
- Ecology field trip to Ainsdale
- Genetics Workshop at Nowgen
- Biology Olympiad (Stretch and Challenge)
- Lectures/workshops in college and the local area
- Manchester Lit. and Phil. Society evening lectures
- Nuffield Bursary placements
- Useful Links
Entry Requirements 2021
You can download provisional entry requirements for courses that start in 2021 below. Please note that your enrolment on to a particular course must be approved by the Head of that department.