Skip navigation
Back to navigation

Adult Education – Fees and support

Additional Learning Support

We have a specialist member of staff who can offer advice and support on all aspects of communication and study skills, essay writing, planning your time, numeracy etc. Help is available on Monday and Tuesday evenings to any student enrolled with Aquinas Adult Education at any time throughout the academic year.

Need help to pay for your course?

How we can help you varies depending upon whether you enrol for an examination course or a leisure course (please ask before enrolment) but below are the main sources of help:        

Examination courses

Some of our courses are free to adults who are:

  • Earning less than £19305.00 per year, gross.
  • Aged 19-23 and taking their first full Level 3 or first full level 2 course.
  • Studying English or maths at or below Level 2 (learner must not have achieved GCSE A* – C grade or 9-4).
  • Unemployed and in receipt of;
    • Job Seeker’s Allowance.
    • Employment Support Allowance.
    • Universal Credit and in a work related activity group.

NOTE: (If you live outside the Greater Manchester Combined Authority area you may NOT BE entitled to fee remission – please check with reception staff).


Advanced Learner Loans – provide a source of fees and support to help people aged 19 and over enrolling onto a Level 3 course.

On receipt of a learner’s loan application, the Student Loan Company is responsible for assessing whether a learner is eligible.  By taking out a loan, a learner is taking direct responsibility and financial liability for their learning.


Advanced Learner Loan Support Fund – this fund provides financial support to enable you to attend and complete your course with costs such as: travel expenses, books and equipment for students enrolling onto examination courses (terms and conditions apply). This is offered at enrolment to those students who are on a low income or in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance; Employment Support Allowance (in the work related activity group); Universal Credit (mandated to seek work) only. Application forms available during the academic year and distributed until the funds are used.


Instalment Plan for examination courses costing over £250:
You have the option of spreading the cost of your fees by paying a deposit at enrolment followed by a number of standing order payments (full details on request); you will need your bank details, your cheque book or credit/debit card when enrolling. Please enquire which courses this applies to when you enquire/enrol.

Leisure, general & fitness courses

Fee reductions are available if you are in receipt of any of the following income related benefits:

    • Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA)
    • Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
    • Universal Credit (mandated to seek work)
    • Working Tax Credit (excludes Child Tax Credit on its own)
    • Council Tax & Housing Benefit
    • Income Support
    • Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit only)
    • (Unwaged dependant of the above – (named spouse/partner/adult dependent of income based benefit claimant)
    • Carer’s allowance
    • You are issued with a Stockport Council Band A Leisure Key beginning with number 1/….

If you are entitled to a reduction in your fees, you will need to provide proof of this at enrolment, with your payment book, your Giro (or a photocopy), or an appropriate letter from the agency awarding you the benefit.

Staggered payments

Staggered payment arrangements for leisure courses can be made available.  You would pay the first half of the full fee BEFORE the term starts and the second half of the full fee ONE MONTH later.

Telephone  0161 419 3620 if you need advice or help with any of the above.