Do you want to study a subject that is highly relevant in today’s society? Do you love textiles? From clothes to accessories, to interior design, is there something about the look and feel of textiles that appeals to you? Maybe, you’ve considered a career in textiles? Perhaps as a Textile Designer, seeing your unique designs manufactured into fabric, or maybe as an Interior Designer or Fashion Designer.
We study cutting-edge designers and organise trips to see current exhibitions at the UK’s most exciting galleries. Whenever possible we try to get involved in a live brief that enables students to get a feel for working in the industry. In the past we have created garments and produced a successful fashion show.
Students will be taught by enthusiastic and supportive members of staff that have many years experience in contemporary fashion and surface design. We actively encourage studying current trends in fashion and textiles, examining contemporary practitioners, and produce creative and experimental garments and textiles.
Our students enjoy and appreciate the opportunity to have the freedom to experiment, develop their skills as a designer, and explore options in many different media using conventional and unconventional processes. You will learn how to gather imagery to inspire you to create textile work or garments. Through the critical analysis of the work of textile artists and designers you will be introduced to a range of skills and concepts to broaden your vocabulary and knowledge.
Students will be taught many textile processes from the ‘basics’ to the ‘advanced’. Learning is encouraged through set projects and experimental workshop sessions in the studio. Students are encouraged to develop the ability to work independently, gathering relevant research material and extending practical work in the textile studio.
- Textile Design is an innovative course that uses new technology and encourages you to work creatively with a range of materials and techniques.
- The course allows you to experience what it is like to work on real life fashion design projects developing and manufacturing products using a range of techniques including pattern cutting and garment construction techniques.
- Throughout the course you will take ownership of your project work and learning which will help develop your skills to be an effective artist/designer.
- Students will develop a Portfolio which is invaluable when applying for design courses in Higher Education and for taking to interview.
- Most importantly Textile Design will give you life skills.